Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

I've been cruising other sites and I'm amazed at how different my opinions are from those of the "kids." I was just on the "beauty" site and the discussion was about whether a woman 41 should cut her hair. The "kids" all said it would make her look old!



And, of course, I remember my mother saying, "You're 41, you're too old to be wearing your hair that long."



And of course, that was 600 years ago. I keep it short now because it's easier to fluff and go.



The point is, have I changed so as I grew older? Is Yahoo! Answers pointing out to me that my opinions should be more flexible?



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

Yer I've learned to be more open minded and that for every reaction there is one the same or opposite I've always learned to spell better and keep my swearing down.



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

I should hope that you have changed. lololol



Answers: just keep an open mind.



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

No, emphatically no.



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

While change is good, and re-inventing ones-self will keep you abreast of the times, your opinions are who you are. If you can comfortably modify any or all of those opinions that you feel are antiquated, by all means do so. But in all things



"To thine own self be true"



Flexiability is great for the mind as well as the body. I'm a great- grandmother in my early 60's, I have breathing and heart considerations, I have modified my life to accommodate both, yet I still enjoy most of the things I did before this happened. Sex is still my favorite exercise, we just take our time, and it is still great. I still wear high heels, and short skirts only now they are just below my knees instead of mid thigh (smile), I have nice legs(everyone tells me) and I look good in my clothes. My clothes aren't to young for me nor are they signalaling one foot in the grave, (my teenaged gran daughters have asked to borrow some of them.) I still have spring in my walk and a swing to my hips, only it's much slower now. Do what is right for you. Enjoy your time in this world, so that you leave no regrets behind



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

It is all relevant. We are older, but you know what, much wiser!



There are questions that my granddaughters ask and being a teacher, I love answering them. The beauty section is funny to me, but I figure I asked these questions, not having the self confidence (and at our age, who really gives, you know?!) when I was a teen . . . . .I love to see the curious minds, the open viewpoints . . . . . . some great, some horrible. We all try, don't we?!



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

Flexibility is the key but not just for those of us over 40, it doesn't hurt the young ones either.



I remember watching Judy Woodruff's documentary on PBS last winter about Generation Y and her saying they were more liberal, more tolerant , well I haven't seen it from many of the younger people's responses here on YA. If anything Generation X and Y seem more intolerant, more narcisstic and less flexible than other generations who have gone before.



Perhaps we're seeing only a small snapshot of Gen xers and y'ers here or Judy Woodruff's living in a dream world with her kids' friends.



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

Didn't we cover this flexibility question just last week?



Ah, well...I too was born and reared at a time when "older" women had to all switch to short hairstyles because that is what older women DID (short perms, blue rinse).



GOD forbid that I should join them!!



My hair is just there. I don't usually make a fuss over it, except to make sure that my natural curls aren't making me look like Frankenstein's bride. But I decided a couple of months ago that I was going to let it grow, so that I would have the versatility of pulling it back when I didn't want it doing it's thing in my face.



I have never been one for conforming to stereotype. I expect that is what you mean -- that you have been trained to think that older women should conform to a certain stereotype, and it is hard for you to think beyond that?! So in that case, yes, you need to adopt a flexibility in your attitudes. Women are no longer conforming to those stereotypes that our mothers embodied. You have only to look at our current aging actresses to get a good idea of this -- Annette Bening, Jane Fonda, Meryl Streep, Catherine DeNeuve. You can't accuse any of THEM of conforming to a stereotype, now can you?



But does Yahoo Answers change my perceptions?...on some things. I can't lie about that. But on my own appearance -- no way! I guess I am just one of the original free spirits who has spent my whole life following my own style.



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

I think sticking with your opinions is very good. It means you're not wishy washy. However, I was very surprised and still am surprised by all the bigotry and prejudice on several sites. I will never understand it.



A 41 year old is way too young to cut her hair, unless she or he wants to. I put a red violet rinse in mine, just because I like the color. Someday, I'll let my hair go back to it's now natural color of white.



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

No it does not. I find some of the items humorous, like you saying 41 is old. Hey, my 13 year old granddaughter thinks anyone 21 is old. !



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

anyone who's opinions do not change over time is a very stubborn, if not stupid person...Hopefully, we gain knowledge as we age, and knowledge is the great temporizer of opinion. If I had the same opinons today as 25 years ago, I would hope that I had spent the 25 years in a coma...otherwise, I would have wasted a lot of brain power.



Does Yahoo! Answers change your perceptions?

No, you haven't changed as you grew older. When these young kids are our age, they'll probably feel as you do now. Your opinions are yours to keep & you need not change them for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment